Update 12/1 4pm from Fair:
Reid (D-NV) introduced yet another version of the DREAM Act late last night. This new version (S.3992) is now the fourth variation of the DREAM Act to be introduced in the Senate this session. Although any of these versions could be brought up for a vote in the Senate at any time, Senator Reid says he intends to bring up the most recent version for a vote early next week!
Although, Senator Reid and DREAM Act supporters continue to tout the legislation as helping innocent children, the latest version still grants amnesty to adults up to the age of 30 who enroll in college—a requirement Homeland Security can waive. It also allows amnesty recipients to draw tuition assistance and other federal and state benefits, when those benefits are desperately needed by law-abiding American students and families who are struggling every day to make ends meet. Finally, those who receive amnesty will be allowed to sponsor their parents and other family members for green cards.
The open borders lobby is fighting hard to get the DREAM Act passed, with students staging sit-ins at Congressional offices around the country and running television ads at key Senators. We need you to tell Congress that we want our immigration laws enforced, not another amnesty! If you don’t take action, the only voices they will hear will be the ones that support amnesty, open borders, and immigration policies that serve special interests, not the interests of Americans.
Call your senators NOW and tell them to vote NO on the DREAM Act!
UPDATE:1pm cst From FAIR:
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) told senior aides that he plans to file a cloture motion on the DREAM Act early this week, which will allow the Senate to vote on whether to begin debate on the bill as soon as Wednesday (National Journal, Nov. 23, 2010; CRS Report, June 4, 2007)
By bringing the DREAM Act to the floor, Sen. Reid would be fulfilling a campaign promise he made to Latino voters throughout his re-election campaign. Although Reid had promised several times to bring immigration legislation to the floor during 2010, he had been unsuccessful each time. Finally, the weekend before the midterm elections Sen. Reid promised to bring the DREAM Act to the Senate floor during the lame duck session of Congress. (The New York Times, Oct. 31, 2010)
Amnesty advocates are now leaning hard on the Senate Majority leader to follow through on his promises. “Harry Reid has a debt and he made special promises in the midst of the election. Certainly immigration reform and the DREAM Act were part of his platform … That means he’s got a very specific and very immediate promise to deliver on,” said Ana Navarro, a Republican political strategist. (Roll Call, Nov. 10, 2010) Rosaline Gold at the National Association of Latino Elected Officials similarly remarked, “Democratic candidates cannot take the Latino vote for granted …They are going to have to reach out, to engage and continue to address the issues that are important for Latinos.” (ColorLines, Nov. 3, 2010)
The Senate failed to invoke cloture on the DREAM Act the last time the legislation came to the floor as a stand-alone bill in 2007. (S. 2205, See Roll Call Vote 394) Both the House and the Senate return Monday, November 29th for the remainder of the lame-duck session.
~Credit to Char for this update 11/22/2010
ALERT: When Congress convenes for its lame-duck session on Nov. 29, it will be asked by ousted Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Reid to vote and pass an amnesty bill for illegal aliens.
Reid Vows To Pass Lame Duck DREAM Act!
NOTE: This post will stay up in Featured Posts UNTIL we shut them down!
Another twisted version of Amnesty
As usual America’s Public Enemy Number ONE plus, Senator Harry Reid, D-NV who somehow or other beat the odds and the polls to win reelection on November 02, 2010, with goon Labor Unions strong and devious support, is ready to stick it to the American taxpayer with another twisted version of Amnesty.
This time he puts on his sweetest and sickest smarmy smile and calls it the DREAM Act, S. 3827.
This slippery piece of legislation will provide an immediate path to citizenship for millions of illegal aliens currently living within our borders granting them benefits paid by our tax dollars and Reid is expecting to ram this through the Senate during this lame duck session which should only last for 3 to 4 weeks before the Christmas – New Years’ holidays.
The new conservative Congress convenes on January 4, 2011 which should end the massive and wild spending that the outgoing liberal Democrats have visited on us taxpaying citizens for the past four years.
But if it sounds like it’s over, forget it; it ain’t over till it’s over as the famous Yogi Berra would say. During these next few weeks, though very few, will still be long enough for Harry Reid to try to get his revenge for defeating his long-time colleagues and partners in fiscal insanity and crime.
He still has a lot of payback that the corrupt labor unions are looking for in the form of legislation that will enrich the union coffers and break the industrial management complex that is trying to keep prices and labor costs within reasonable restraints. We will address those as they appear on the scene.
But the first of these budget-busting and national debt increasing scandalous ventures is the pleasantly but incorrectly named DREAM Act; a personal vendetta of Reid’s.
Senator Jeff Sessions, R-AL, writing for the Center for Individual Freedom, Liberty Update of November 19, 2010 lists ten things that he feels you need to know about this DREAM Act, S. 3827 and why it should be defeated. I will list these 10 things, not necessarily exactly as the Senator has them labeled, but in more of a synopsis form for purposes of brevity.
* NOTE: Links supplied by ~JP
1. Nearly all of the publicity attendant to this Act has stressed that it is for “the children” of illegal aliens; but as Senator Sessions stresses, the DREAM Act is NOT limited to children and it will be funded from government taxpayer monies.
2. It will provide a Safe Harbor for ANY illegal alien, including criminals to keep from being deported just by submitting an application.
3. It will make certain criminal aliens eligible for Amnesty including alien gang members and aliens with misdemeanor convictions, even DUIs; also aliens who have engaged in voter fraud or unlawfully voted, aliens who have falsely claimed U.S. citizenship, and other abuses.
4. It will give Illegal Aliens In-State Tuition Benefits.
5. It does not REQUIRE an Illegal Alien to finish any type of degree program as a condition for Amnesty, meaning they could just start and then quit and still be eligible for Amnesty.
6. Though there already is a process for Illegal Aliens to obtain citizenship through military service, the DREAM Act does not require that an illegal Alien serve in the military as a condition for amnesty. (They are once again LYING)
7. Once a Illegal Alien submits an application for the DREAM Act he will be given all the rights that legal immigrants receive, including The Right To Sponsor Their Parents and Extended Family Members for Immigration as well. (Here’s where the numbers will swell to absolute unmanageable numbers of persons and expenses.)
8. It will get Illegal Aliens Federal Student Loans, Federal Work Study Programs, and other forms of Federal Financial Aid. If an Illegal Alien’s DREAM Act application is denied the Department of Homeland Security is prohibited from using the denial information to initiate their Removal Proceedings or Investigate or Prosecute Fraud in the Application Process.
9. As you can see this DREAM Act is truly a major “catch all” benefits program that the socialist liberal Democrats have rammed into the law-making process to insure massive numbers of voting foreigners indebted to those same liberal Democrats for years, perhaps centuries to come, or as long as there is a United States of America left to enter.
10. It is a DREAM Act for illegal aliens and liberal Democrat politicians.
Horribly damaging legislation such as this would not happen if Term Limits were a standard part of our Congressional recruitment apparatus, as there would be no reelections or needs for soliciting illegals votes. Term Limits would cure a lot of our governing ills and abuses.
~By Jerry McConnell CFP
NOTE: On the VERY page of Jerry’s article the Aztlan Nation posted this ad:
* Support the DREAM Help Thousands of Students Fulfill Their Dreams. Sign the Petition.
~Unnerving- called America’s Voice
~I also ran across this while surfing/researching…
~ If THIS doesn’t get your activism FIRED UP nothing will…
AB-540 Workshops For Students By Students! Bring College Recruiters on Campuses not Military!!! 9 Years in the battle and still going Strong!!!!
The Dream Act is Near!
Act Now! We Are getting Close!
Make them Calls~ Make them Calls
We Dream We Act
San Diego IMMIGRATION STUDENT SUPPORT ORGANIZATION
~This are JUST Two of hundreds of radical organizations on this…we need EVERYONE to make this cause Viral NOW! ~JP
We Must Shut Down His DREAM Act NOW!
~A fellow fighter in this cause for many years at FR sent me this in email Today—Thank you Rob Roy! Get this post out to all your sources…~JP
…toll free to DC: (866) 338-1015
Lame Duck Dream act … dead of night amnesty bill! Most democrats on board.
* HOT AIR:
Harry Reid: I’m bringing the DREAM Act to the floor — for a standalone vote
QUOTE: “And in a Twitter message on Wednesday evening, his office said he would try to do so in the current session as a stand-alone bill.”
* Michelle Malkin IDs The RINOs On The Dream Act Fence – Including John McCain
DREAM Act scorecard: The GOP Senate fence-sitters; Update: LeMieux and Hutchison off the fence
Toll free to DC: (866) 338-1015
SEN. OLYMPIA SNOWE 202-224-5344; 207-874-0883: Staff says she “hasn’t released a statement.”
SEN. SUSAN COLLINS 202-224-2523; 207-945-0417: Staff says she “hasn’t released a public statement.”
SEN. LISA MURKOWSKI 202-224-6665; 907-271-3735: Staff says she’s “still reviewing the bill.”
SEN. SAM BROWNBACK 202-224-6521; 785-233-2503 Staff says he “hasn’t had a chance to look at it” and remains non-committal.
SEN. KAY BAILEY HUTCHISON 202-224-5922; 214-361-3500: Staff says she “hasn’t released a statement,” but will probably do so later today.
SEN. GEORGE LEMIEUX 202-224-3041; 904-398-8586: Recorded message informs callers that he’s “in a meeting.” He has yet to publicly state his position as open-borders extremists step up pressure…”