College students from across North Carolina will arrive in Charlotte by the busload. Same with members of predominantly black churches in neighboring South Carolina.
Their goal: help fill a 74,000-seat outdoor stadium to capacity when President Obama accepts the Democratic nomination Thursday night.
Anything short of a full house on the final night of the Democratic Party’s national convention will be instant fodder for Republicans eager to use empty seats as symbols of waning voter enthusiasm for Obama.
Democrats have been fretting for months over whether the president can draw a capacity crowd at Bank of America Stadium. Polls show voter enthusiasm is down, as are Obama’s crowds for his battleground state campaign rallies.
Have You Seen These Democrats?
31 Democrats Have Chosen To Stay Away From The Democrat National Convention
PARTY LEADERSHIP HAS TOLD DEMOCRATS TO SKIP THE PARTY’S NATIONAL CONVENTION:
“The Man Responsible For Getting Democrats Elected To The Congress This Fall Has A Message For His Party’s Candidates: Stay Away From The Democrat National Convention In September.” (Samuel P. Jacobs, “Democratic Campaign Chair Tells Candidates To Avoid Convention,” Reuters, 6/27/12)
Rep. Steve Israel (D-NY), Chairman Of The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee: “I Think (Candidates) Should Be In Their Districts.” “‘I don’t care if the president was at 122 percent favorability right now,’ he said. ‘I think (candidates) should be in their districts,’ rather than spend time at the convention, which will be in Charlotte, North Carolina, September 3-6.” (Samuel P. Jacobs, “Democratic Campaign Chair Tells Candidates To Avoid Convention,” Reuters, 6/27/12)
The list of DEMOCRATS That are AVOIDING OBAMA:
* SEN. JON TESTER (D-MT): Tester Has Decided Not To Attend The Democrat National Convention In Order To Concentrate On His Senate Race.
* SEN. JOE MANCHIN (D-WV): Manchin Has Declined To Attend
* REP. NICK RAHALL (D-WV): Rahall Has Declined To Attend The Democrat National Convention Citing “ Concerns About The Policies Of Democratic President Barack Obama.”
* REP. LOUISE SLAUGHTER (D-NY): Slaughter Is “Skipping”
* REP. MARK CRITZ (D-PA): Critz Said He Would Rather Campaign Than Attend
* REP. BILL OWENS (D-NY): Owens Decided Not To Attend The Democrat National Convention After He Declined To Endorse Barack Obama.
* REP. BEN CHANDLER (D-KY): “ U.S. Rep. Ben Chandler Will Join A Group Of Prominent Democrats Who Will Not Attend Their Party’s National Convention This Year.”
EVEN NORTH CAROLINA DEMOCRATS HAVE DECIDED TO SKIP THE DEMOCRAT NATIONAL CONVENTION
* REP. LARRY KISSELL (D-NC): Kissell Has Decided Not To Attend The Democrat National Convention, Which Is Being Held 10 Miles From His District.
MANY MORE DEMOCRATS ACROSS THE COUNTRY HAVE DECIDED TO DISTANCE THEMSELVES FROM THE DEMOCRAT NATIONAL CONVENTION
* GOV. EARL RAY TOMBLIN (D-WV): Tomblin Won’t Attend The Democrat National Convention Due To “Concerns About The Policies Of Democratic President Barack Obama.”
* REP. KATHY HOCHUL (D-NY): Hochul Has Decided Not To Attend
* ((( SEN. CLAIRE MCCASKILL (D-MO) : The Associated Press: “McCaskill Opts To Skip )))
* REP. DAVE LOEBSACK (D-IA): Loebsack Has Decided Not To Attend The Democrat National Convention In Order To Best Use His Time Campaigning.
* REP. JOHN BARROW (D-GA): Barrow Has Announced He Will Not Attend The Democrat National Convention, ‘Opting’ To Schedule Campaign Events In The District Instead. “
* REP. JIM MATHESON (D-UT): Matheson Announced He Would Not Attend
* REP. STEPHEN LYNCH (D-MA): Lynch Has Declined To Attend The Democrat National Convention To Instead Focus On His Campaign
* REP. RICHARD NEAL (D-MA): Neal Has Decided Not To Attend
* REP. HENRY CUELLAR (D-TX): Cuellar Said He Has “No Plans To Attend” The Democrat National Convention To Spend More Time Focused On His Own Reelection
* REP. JERRY MCNERNEY (D-CA): McNerney Has Announced He Will Not Attend
* FORMER REP. CHARLIE WILSON (D-OH): Wilson Has Declined To Attend
* FORMER REP. BETTY SUTTON (D-OH): Sutton Has Decided Not To Attend The Democrat National Convention Because She Has “Things To Do.”
* DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE SUE THORN (D-WV): Thorn Has Declined To Attend
* DEMOCRAT SENATE CANDIDATE RICHARD CARMONA (D-AZ): Carmona Has Decided Not To Attend
* DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE HEIDI HEITKAMP (D-ND): Heitkamp Has Decided Not To Attend The Democrat National Convention, To Focus On Her Campaign In North Dakota (Good luck with that)
* Even a Kennedy bails: DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE JOSEPH KENNEDY III (D-MA): Kennedy Has Decided Not To Attend
* DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE CHRISTIE VILSACK (D-IA): Vilsack Has Decided Not To Attend
* REP. TIM BISHOP (D-NY): Bishop Has Decided Not To Attend The Democrat National Convention Due To A Tight Reelection Race
* REP. CAROLYN MCCARTHY (D-NY): McCarthy Has Decided Not To Attend
* DEMOCRAT GOVERNOR CANDIDATE JAY INSLEE (D-WA): Inslee Has Decided Not To Attend
* DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE DAN MAFFEI (D-NY): Maffei Has Decided Not To Attend
* Even flamin’ avowed socialist SEN BERNIE SANDERS (I-VT): Sanders Has Decided Not To Attend
and the biggie so far: FORMER VICE PRESIDENT AL GORE: Gore Has Declined To Attend The Democrat National Convention. “But his vice president, [Al] Gore, is taking a pass, a dozen years after losing the 2000 presidential race to George W. Bush.” (“Big Names Will No-Show At Conventions,” The Associated Press, 8/16/12)
Get all the details at the GOP
I would suggest you make sure to vote AGAINST each one of them, for they are JUST blowing smoke and trying to ‘snow’ their constituents. These 31 + empty seats are the noteworthy ones, NOT the ones Obama is using tax dollars to fill! Can you say ‘Running Scared?’ ~ JP
The Twitter hastag is #EmptyChairDay as seen here by from JUST Piper on Twitter
My favorite comes from: