Former N.H. governor blames president’s ‘dishonest’ campaign tactics
Of course Graham likes Reid, cut from the same cloth in their perspective ‘closets’…
There’s a pretty straightforward answer to this question. Obama isn’t lifting a finger to put an end to this slanderous side-show because his campaign specifically gave Reid the green light to launch these baseless attacks. Politico reports:
The ruthless Senate majority leader sees political gold in his attack on Romney — and he’s got the blessing from President Barack Obama’s campaign for the attack, even if he lacks evidence on Romney’s failure to pay taxes. Reid has calculated that the frenzy created by his charge has accomplished exactly what he sought to do: Turn the focus back onto the GOP nominee’s unreleased tax returns, according to several people close to the leader and the campaign. For Reid, he’s got virtually nothing to lose: His approval ratings back home are still upside-down, and he may not even run for reelection when he’s up for a sixth term in 2016. On top of that, his aides say, Reid genuinely believes his source…
Three quick points:
(1) Even if Reid has special “source” inside Bain, which I sincerely doubt, said informant would have no access to Romney’s personal tax returns.
(2) A former McCain aide who vetted Romney as a potential Vice Presidential pick in 2008 has reviewed many years of the current presumptive nominee’s tax returns. He says everything was totally in order, and if anything, Mitt overpaid.
(3) Here’s a quote from a “top Reid confidant,” explaining Democrats’ thinking on this smear campaign:
Covered in article:
* As amusing as the Reid/pedophilia “accusation” saga is — and we still haven’t seen firm proof that the Senate Majority Leader doesn’t fondle little boys — it won’t break through and capture the narrative spotlight.
“What Republicans don’t get is the more they fire back at Reid, the more he will fight, and in the end, what will the topic be? Romney and his taxes.”
* McCain could say that he’s heard from “a source” inside the Justice Department that President Obama exerted executive privilege in the Fast & Furious scandal because he didn’t want the public to discover that he himself ordered the operation.
Also See Cartoon of the Day
h/t Patriot Update
featured image: (Photo credit SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images)