Feb 052011
 

Share
Feb 052011
 


Share
Feb 052011
 

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) – America is on a “road to ruin” because of misguided policies in Washington and needs to get back in step with the values of Ronald Reagan, Sarah Palin said at an event honoring the former president’s legacy.

The 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee delivered a stinging critique of Washington during her speech Friday, part of the national celebration marking the centennial of Reagan’s birth on Feb. 6.

Revisiting themes familiar from her 2008 campaign, she said the nation was being shackled by high debt and taxes, dense government regulation and rising spending, often for programs that don’t work. She said a rush toward green energy was overlooking the nation’s oil and natural gas reserves, a choice that will cost jobs and drive up pump prices.

She blamed Washington leaders – an apparent reference to the Obama administration – for doing “everything in their power to stymie responsible domestic drilling.”

“This is dangerous. This is insane,” she said. “This is not the road to national greatness, it is the road to ruin.”

Read AP article ~ Palin: America out of step with Reagan’s values

In the latest installment of our week-long tribute to Ronald Reagan, look back at his Hollywood days and how it impacted his political career.


As part of the increased security surrounding the Super Bowl, NFL and federal authorities are limiting what fans can bring to Cowboys Stadium.

Everyone entering the stadium must pass through a magnatometer, such as those used at airports, and get a patdown as part of the screening process. The majority of fans will enter through checkpoints on the east side of Cowboys Stadium.

Small bags are allowed, but will be searched, and jackets will be X-rayed.

Allowed/Not Allowed items…at Cowboys Stadium on Sunday

Bloomberg Spends $245,000 in Taxpayers’ Cash on Three Chefs

When Mayor Bloomberg came into office there was just one executive cook at Gracie Mansion to make the VIP feasts.

Today there are three – costing taxpayers a whopping $245,000 this year.

And despite the big spending cuts the mayor has ordered across every city agency, too many cooks won’t be spoiling the broth at the city-owned mansion.

Ever heard of too many cooks, Mayor? Bloomberg spends $245,000 of taxpayers’ dough employing THREE chefs at Gracie Mansion

~ Again, it takes the UK to know what is going on here at home!

Charles Krauthmammer on Friday said if Godzilla appeared on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., Al Gore would blame it on global warming.

Such marvelously happened when the discussion on PBS’s “Inside Washington” turned to the nation’s crazy weather.

Newsbusters

Ronald Reagan was a religious man and his faith had a great impact on his presidency.


Share
Feb 052011
 

H/T Char

Former US President George W Bush has cancelled a visit to Switzerland amid concerns he could be arrested.

The former leader had been due to speak at a charity gala, making the keynote speech at Keren Hayesod’s annual dinner on February 12.

But human rights groups in the country have been calling for the Swiss government to arrest him over allegations he ordered the torture of prisoners.

Court officials have said criminal complaints against Mr Bush have been lodged in Geneva but Swiss officials said he would enjoy some diplomatic immunity as a former head of state. Torture is a crime under international law and human rights experts say absolute prohibition is very clear.

Some left wing groups had called for a protest on the day of his visit. Keren Hayesod’s organisers said they felt the atmosphere had become too threatening.

“We didn’t want to put people and property in Geneva at risk,” said the group’s lawyer Robert Equey. “The gala is maintained but George Bush will not take part. The criminal complaints did not weigh in the decision,” he added.

sky news

Share
Feb 052011
 



Commercials begin @ 1:23


Share
Feb 052011
 

Thing is as of yet, this does not get rid of Mubarak and that is unacceptable so how is this ‘important’ news? ~JP

CAIRO – State TV says the top leadership body of Egypt’s ruling party, including the president’s son Gamal Mubarak and the party secretary-general Safwat el-Sharif, resigned Saturday in a new gesture apparently aimed at convincing anti-government protesters that the regime is serious about reform.


Protesters have shrugged off other concessions by the regime in the past 12 days of unprecedented street demonstrations, saying they will settle for nothing less than the immediate ouster of President Hosni Mubarak, Egypt’s ruler for nearly 30 years.

State TV said the ruling party’s six-member Steering Committee of the General Secretariat stepped down and was replaced. The council was the party’s highest decision-making body, and el-Sharif and other outgoing members were some of the most powerful — and to many Egyptians, unpopular — political figures in the regime.

El-Sharif was replaced by Hossam Badrawi, a party figure who had been sidelined within its ranks in recent years because of his sharp criticisms of some policies.

The new appointments to the body were largely young figures, one of the replacements Mohammed Kamal told The Associated Press. “It’s a good change. It reflects the mood of change that is sweeping the country,” he said.

The announcement was greeted with scorn by some of the tens of thousands of protesters gathered in Cairo’s Tahrir Square. Wael Khalil, a 45-year-old activist, said it would “reinforce their (protersers’) resolve and increase their confidence because it shows that they are winning, and the regime is retreating inch by inch.”

~ FNC reports that the protesters will not leave the square until Mubaral is gone and stops insulting their intelligence with reports like this

AP/FOX

Also SEE:

Egypt VP Omar Suleiman Target of Assassination Attempt That Killed Two Bodyguards

Share
Feb 052011
 

US plans for a missile defence system on Czech soil ran into trouble when defence chiefs realised the proposed radar was blind to nuclear missiles, leaked diplomatic cables show.

A Russian Topol-12M mobile nuclear missile Photo: REUTERS

A 2007 briefing by General Patrick O’Reilly, director of the US Missile Defence Agency, disclosed that the radar system would be unable to detect long-range missiles in the launch phase because it could only see in a straight line, not over the horizon.

By the time the radar “saw” the missile, it would be too late to launch an interceptor in time to stop it striking its target.

The Czech radar system was the lynch-pin of George Bush’s “son of star wars” missile defence plans, ostensibly intended to intercept missiles launched from North Korea and Iran.

Russia reacted furiously to the proposed system, which it claimed could threaten its own defences and be used to spy on its interests.

A leaked cable obtained by WikiLeaks detailing US talks with Moscow describes a briefing by General O’Reilly on the capabilities of the Czech radar.

It states: “He noted that it was an X-Band radar which could only see in a straight line, not over the horizon; its range was approximately 2000 kilometres, its beam size was point 155 degrees; and it could not search and locate by itself.

“The key was that the Czech radar could not bend radio waves; its minimum elevation was two degrees… Below two degrees, ground clutter would interfere.

“Thus, depending on the location of the launch, the first 245, 450 or 850 kilometres of flight could not be seen. Therefore, the radar was incapable of seeing a missile in the boost phase. By the time the radar saw the missile, it would be too late to launch an interceptor.

“Even with upgrades to the radar, Gen O’Reilly continued, an X-band radar in the Czech Republic would never give the US the capability to intercept Russia’s ICBMs (intercontinental ballistic missiles).”

Condoleezza Rice, US Secretary of State under President Bush, finalised the agreement to base the missile radar in the Czech Republic 8 July 2008.

But the plan was abandoned by President Barack Obama in September 2009, on the basis that the threat from Iran could now be countered by shorter-range systems.

The Telepgraph

Share
Feb 052011
 

~ I wonder what our bill will be for this foray?! –JP

Entertainer, Jennifer Lopez gleefully announced that President Barack Obama invited her and her singer husband, Marc Anthony to watch America’s most-watched televised sports celebration broadcast, the Super Bowl this Sunday at the White House.

“I can’t believe it…I don’t even feel it’s real!” the new American Idol judge told NBC’s entertainment program, “Extra.” Jennifer Lopez, known as “JLo,” brought up the special invitation during her launch of her “Venus Goddess Fund for Education” in New York.

~Enough said…JP

Share